UC’s being selective with in-state students

Honorable mention, opinion writing

Wikimedia commons

Choosing the right college can be one of the hardest decisions you will ever have to make. However, as a California resident there is a lower chance of getting into a UC (University of California) than students from out of state.

One would think that students from California would have a higher acceptance rate, however that is not the case. The acceptance rate of Californians getting into UC’s dropped from 85 percent to 59 percent.

The problem with the percent dropping is that parents still think that UC’s are a reasonable goal when the trends suggest otherwise. This also affects juniors. It may be more concerning for them because the percent may continue to fall each year.

Going to college is expensive, so some students decide to enroll in a community college to reduce the cost. Another alternative is to stay in state to avoid out of state tuition. However that may be an issue when tuition for in state students at schools like UC Davis is $14,490 and UC Berkeley is  $14,254, which does not include any living costs or meal plans.

For the majority of students attending colleges out of state, with the exception of WUE (Western Undergrad Exchange) schools which students can receive to decrease the tuition price, can still face a much higher price. The WUE program is more reasonable because schools like Portland State University have tuition rates costing $12,117 per year. However, a non WUE school like University of Washington is $53,018 only for tuition.

Californians should have a higher acceptance rate because they fund the schools through federal funding. According to the legislative analyst’s office the state’s current shares (parts of a company’s capital is divided, entitling the holder to a proportion of the profits) of core UC funds in 2018-19 were 60 percent.

To get into UC Irvine students, on average, have a GPA of 3.8 unweighted and an SAT score of 1312, these are high expectations but the acceptance rate is 40.6 percent. This criteria is challenging but it’s harder than a state school. In comparison to California State University Chico, admission standards for the average student is a 3.41 GPA and an SAT score of 1100.

Not only is it important to have a high GPA but also to have numerous extracurricular activities.

Students from different states have a larger tuition rate compared to students within the specific state, therefore UCs are more likely to focus on students who have to pay the higher tuition rate.

This trend of UC’s accepting less Californians is frustrating and makes students question whether it’s worth applying due to high standards and low acceptance rates.