Could this be the end to SAT/ACT scores for UC’s?

Suit claims tests are biased

Photo by Siora Photography on Unsplash

Students everywhere know the feeling of dread that comes with standardized testing. One grueling test could determine whether one is accepted to their dream college or not. However, with a recent lawsuit, the weight of standardized testing could change.

A collective body of students, parents and school districts are suing the University of California system over the part SAT and ACT scores play in admissions. They claim that the tests are biased against people of color and people from low income households. According to a report from Forbes, Asian and White students averaged over 1100 on the SAT and other groups averaged below 1000.

The same report found that students from households with an income of less than $20,000 had the lowest average performance on the tests. Students from households with an income of over $200,000 performed significantly better. These students can afford tutoring to prepare for the tests which can be pricey. The preparation courses average from $75-$1000. Princeton offers a course that is $600 for 30 hours of guidance.

Some families can afford to manipulate the SAT completely. The college admissions scandals blatantly showed the privilege that wealthier families have. Several parents, notably Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin, were busted after paying thousands of dollars to manipulate and alter SAT scores.

Companies that own standardized tests disagree with these reports. Ed Colby, a spokesman for the ACT said, “ACT scores are the only admission decision factor that provide a common, standardized, metric allowing colleges to compare students from different schools, states, and countries on a level playing field.” Standardized tests do allow colleges to quickly compare students from different areas but they don’t take into account the situations those students are in. The tests also do not measure a student’s potential and other performances outside of the one test

“I don’t think it should be a requirement because one test does not define your intelligence or learning ability. A bad standardized test score could minimize all of your other achievements in the eyes of some schools, which I think is unfair.”